Pages

Friday, January 16, 2015

Moment of play


Do you recognize this block? I know the colors are outlandish, but they were the first scraps I grabbed. I found a line drawing of it in a book called Patchwork Patterns by Jinny Beyer. It's called Dutchman's Puzzle. I love how Jinny breaks down blocks so we can understand how the blocks are put together. In her book, this book is called a 16 patch because it was made with half square triangles. My version is done up with flying geese units. Eight flying geese make up this block.
I'm anticipating teaching more and more classes this year so I purchased the Go BIG. It arrived this week but I haven't had an opportunity to work with it due to a root canal gone bad procedure. The BIG came with a die and mat, which is unusual for AccuQuilt. At first, I wasn't wowed by the die. If you've known me for very long, you know that I like working with 'small' pieces and these geese are HUGE. The geese finish at 3" by 6." Man oh, those geese had way to much cake for Christmas! 

In order to try out the new electric cutter, I grabbed scrap fabrics so I could make the first non-manual cut!  Wow...it was simply fantastic...  Ruh roe as Scooby Doo would say...cause I couldn't stop with just the cut you see below. I had to cut more....just to make sure it is working properly.
And then I had to sew it together to see if it was accurate!  Easy...peasy cutting and sewing! I'm pretty sure you could cut and sew a quilt in a day using the Big and this die.  

I think the big geese are growing on me and the BIG Accuquilt is awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...