Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Excitable Puppy Peeing

Happy New Year! I introduced you to Bowdee last month. He is growing like a weed and just celebrated his five-month birthday on the 3rd of January!

He is such a lover and greets everyone with licks and kisses and a wiggle that starts at the head and runs down to the end of his tail. He is learning so many things and finally barks at me when needing to go 'out' to do his business. There is just one thing that he does that is a first for us and that is he gets so darn excited to greet us and others that he will tinkle on the floor. We've read everything. He's very healthy, we keep our greetings calm, no eye contact, no bending over to pat his head, exercise him, many potty breaks, yada, yada, yada. He's getting better but when papa comes home, there is nothing I can do to stop the leaking. He just loves him to pieces and the flood will flow. LOL  It's not funny, but he can't help it so you can't get mad at him.

I decided to make him a belly band that he can wear whenever we are going somewhere where people might make a fuss over him. I've found it is easier to teach Bowdee tricks than to stop a person from  baby talking him when we are out. Baby talking to him will cause a puddle every time.

At first I thought I'd just buy one but trying to fit him proved to be impossible. He's too big for a small and too small for a medium and the material they make them out of is not soft and not very nice. Well, since I quilt and sew, I thought how hard can it be to make one? It wasn't hard but did take me longer than I anticipated to get the kinks out for my pattern. All in all I am happy with it. I will need to make another one sooner than I anticipated because I should have added more length for growing.

If you or someone you know has a puppy with leaky issues, you can easily make one. I cut 2 fabrics 5 inches wide by 19 inches long (next time I will make it 21 inches long). I also cut one piece of cotton batting 4-3/4" wide by 18-3/4 inches long. Placing right sides of fabric together and batting on top (which is the wrong side), I sewed around the rectangle using a 3/8" seam. Leave an opening for turning. Turn fabric right side out being careful not to pull out batting. Once turned, sew around perimeter using a 1/8" seam. This will also close up your opening. I added additional sewing lines to keep the cotton fabric from migrating around inside the belly band. I added a 3-1/2 inch by 2 inch piece of velcro (soft side on left as fabric is facing you and the rough side on the right on opposite side) at the narrow edges of band.

Now the only additional thing I made was a mini pad that I could toss in the washer. I didn't have any PUL fabric to add to the backside of it so I'll make more later. For this one, I used leftover terry cloth fabric I had and two layers of cotton batting. Basically a little pillow. I insert it inside the belly band when I put it on him. It stays put. I'll report back how it works.

If you are a picture person like me, I hope these help you.

 2 pieces of fabric (I used prewashed flannel).
 1 layer of cotton batting.
Right sides of fabric together and batting on top. Sew around leaving an opening for turning.
Mini pad for inside band. Easy to wash and keep clean.
Bowdee seems to like it.
Yep. He's okay wearing it. Went right to sleep with his chew toy.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you to make what wasn't available in the commercial market. I hope it works. . .although, it looks like it does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't seem to mind it 'after' it's on. Getting it on is like wrangling a slippery pig though. LOL

      Delete
  2. We had a similar problem with our puppy. The problem stopped when she was about one year old. I think when they are very young their bladders are not very strong yet. I like what you have created. It is an excellent idea if you can get your dog to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaine, I agree. The doctor says that he is growing faster than his organs are so we are hopeful he will catch up with himself. He already is much better after just a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...